Thursday, November 1, 2007

My Trip to Texas: October 10-16, 2007

This October my grandmother turned 90 years old so I just had to make a trip to see her and all the family. Since it was a big surprise, I had to lay low a couple of days so she wouldn't know I was there.

Since I stayed with my Dad any Diana, I visited with them first. Diana and I shopped at Las Canteras a new upscale outdoor shopping mall. It was absolutely beautiful. I bought some Pecan Pumpkin Butter at a Williams-Sonoma store along with a recipe for Pecan Pumpkin Butter Bars which I made once I got back to NY. It was delicious! We gawked at all the stuff in the Tiffany store, almost bought a tie for John in the Brooks Bros. store. Tracy, my brother also made the trip from Long Island, NY to be with us. It was the first time since my 40th birthday (if you know me, you can do the math) that I had been in the same room with my two siblings. My brother, Joe and his wife, Kay had us over for dinner one night and she cooked a fabulous, out of this world dinner for us. Joe, Trace, and Ross had a little jam session in Joe's music room. I was a go-go dancer, while Diana filled in on the bongos! We had a really nice time. I almost got to go up again in my dad's plane, but that didn't happen because of the new concrete being poured in front of his hanger. Maybe next time, Dad!

Then, there was the big birthday party! The family all met at a seafood restaurant. We went it in small groups so that my grandmother (who was already there) could see us and greet us. I think it made it easier for her to take it all in and to actually see all the people there. It was so great to see my cousin, Debra Lynn was there with her youngest daughter, Kayla. I don't know how long it's been since I had seen her. All my Shockey cousins, wives, kids, etc were there. My Aunt Joy and Uncle Dennis were the organizers of this affair and deserve all the kudos for all they have done, and continue to do so that GM is well cared for. Mrs. Shockey looked great, as usual. After dinner, we all took the party to Toby and Danielle's house. Many thanks to them for hosting the get-together. The cake, which was especially made to look like a Spurs jersey was a stroke of genius! It was really a hit with GM. Plus, it was delicious. Good job! Thanks to Aunt Joy I took home three dozen frozen tamales (with jalapenos, of course!) in my suitcase.

My last morning at my Dad's house, we found a cute little kitten outside the greenhouse. It was tiny and Dad thought we should bring it inside and feed it. So here was this pink-ish kitten drinking tons of milk so I asked what they would name it. Both Dad and Diana replied at the same time as if they had planned it, "Susan". Anyway, the kitten turned out to be a boy. Yes, that's right. A boy named Sue.

As for myself, I had a wonderful time seeing everyone and gorging on mexican food all week. After I got home, while unpacking I found that the Homeland Security Office left a nice note in my luggage to let me know they had very kindly gone through my suitcase. Luckily, the tamales where still in tact. It must have been that cold temperature fluctuation that was detected that caused them to open it up. I mean, I've never heard of tamales being confiscated but you never know...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the blog, I feel like I actually know whats going on in your life! Love and miss you. ps-- you should have brought home the kitty:(

-brit xoxo